Choosing gifts for kids can be fun even if you “have no idea” what to get for the little people in your life. We at Mountain Baby want to help you choose the right gifts so you feel confident and happy about what you are giving. Before we give you specific ideas, here are some important points to think about.
Think outside the box when choosing gifts. Toys are only one kind of gift to give. A range of items can be a big hit with kids, even though they are not necessarily playthings. Cozy slippers, a new water bottle, a ski harness, swim goggles, a backpack or umbrella can be gifts that children treasure.
More is not better. Children do not need a lot of toys. A few good quality, creative, well made toys that a child can play with for an extended time and then pass on to others is all kids need. Don’t fall into the “gotta have a lot under the tree trap.” You may end up buying poor quality products just to have quantity. Think quality, not quantity.
Choose toys that have real play value: ask yourself these questions about any toy:
○ Does it invite active doing and thinking or simply passive watching?
○ Does it encourage imaginative and creative thinking?
○ Is it safe and well-designed, and can it withstand the unexpected? Children don’t know how a toy is “supposed” to be played with – they may see it and use it completely differently than how we, or the toy designer meant it to be used.
○ Is it developmentally appropriate for the developmental needs, interests, and typical skills of the children for whom it was designed?
○ What will a child learn from this product? Is it a “smart” product that will engage the child’s mind or simply a novelty with limited play value?
○ Is fun and engaging?
○ Is the age label correct? Is the product so easy that it will be boring or so challenging that it will be frustrating?
Choose gifts that fit the child you are buying for. The more you know about what a child likes to do (not what you want them to like to do), the easier it is to find an appropriate gift. If you don’t know the child well, we will help you choose something that kids their age usually enjoy.
Stay within your budget. Children do not know how much things cost, they just know how much they enjoy something. Excellent gifts can be bought to fit any budget. Our staff will help you find gifts that are great for kids and affordable. Remember that we have a layaway option to help you budget for the season
Have fun shopping. Make a list of the names and ages of the children you need to buy for and bring it with you when you shop. That helps you to focus and enjoy yourself more!